Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Man and His Mission

I have been doing a great deal of musing about in my mind over the last few weeks. I have wanted to write about these things but honestly what I have been contemplating may not be suitable for most audiences. So, it’s with a great deal of trepidation that I squeeze out these thoughts that are bouncing around in my head.

On the eve of the King celebration services I decided to take my son age 11 to a service being held at a church here in the Kansas City area. I thought it would be good for my son to hear the sights and sounds surrounding a man who was so mightily used of God. No thinking person can deny that Dr King was a man on a mission and as history has shown us, a person and their mission will often mean death for them. The speeches at the celebration were all impressive. There was a big push for education and fair treatment of all people etc. But I have to be honest I left the celebration services somewhat uninspired or perhaps a better word to describe my feelings would be indifferent.

I have been accused of being a bit unconventional in my thinking, so with that I’ll just say what I’m thinking and pray that what I communicate encourages and motivates you If you’ve taken the time to read this far.

First let me deal with why I was so uninspired at the King celebration before I go any further. I got the sense that the leaders and politicians at the celebration I attended are still ridding the wave that Dr. King rode 40 plus years ago. They were still talking about equality for blacks, fair education for blacks, equality in the work force etc. These are all topics that will have to be discussed as long as you have different people with different back grounds who are attempting to coexist in the same world. So I realize that there has to be a voice in the public sector that reminds all people black, white and yellow that we should be treating one another with fairness, respect and with Godly principals.

So, I’m not saying that the topics discussed were inappropriate or even wrong.

What I am saying is this, folks... Find your own mission!! A mission or purpose that burns inside of you that if an obstacle gets in the way you will face it no matter the cost. You ever get the sense that folks support ideas as long as the idea or cause cost them nothing. I wonder how many people would have attended the King celebration gathering if the KKK was posted up around the community daring them go inside. However Dr. Martin Luther King not only would have gone inside but he would have also organized the meeting to begin with. That’s a man with a mission and also a man who is worth following.

I want to get this truth down in your spirit so let me give you some bible to help jump start your heart. Check out Proverbs29:18 “Where [there is] no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy [is] he.” Ok, so the vision in the text means the same as mission or purpose. When you get a vision from God that means that you have received specific direction from God as to which way you should go. So then if you finish the second half of the passage above, then you can read that a man of God gets his vision or purpose from the oracles of God’s written word. I want to encourage you by saying this if God has given to you a clear word from scripture follow his word at all cost. Even if following God’s word cost you your comfort and yes even if following him cost you your life. Happy is the man who makes a choice to follow God’s vision for his/her life no matter what.

2 comments:

  1. Happy is the man who may suffer? I love your thought, William. It is genuine Christianity as Jesus, Peter and Paul preached it, but its force is blunted in America, and suffering for any reason is not en vogue. To this truth I heartily say amen, and I wish I could through the Spirit aspire more and more to be willing to suffer for His sake.
    I have to say, William; I'm glad when I came online today I found a new post. I enjoy hearing from you; your impromptu preaching is energetic and honest. There are a few people on Blogger that I look forward to read what they might say, because I trust their words are coming from a heart held captive by Jesus Christ. You, brother, are one of them. Keep on preaching. Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brother Ian. Thanks for stopping by. I'll keep preaching if you keep praying for bor. Blessing to you brother I promise you will keep praying for you as well

    ReplyDelete