Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Is Jesus going to return…………….huh?

I have been a God follower for many years now. One of the things that have always gotten my attention is to hear folks talk about Jesus coming back to earth the second time. You may have heard it said this way, at least I have, “Jesus came as a Suffering Savior and he will return as Conquering king.” I have to be honest and say, that when I was a kid, the thought of Christ returning to earth brought fear to my heart and a lot of questions. I’ve never given much thought to why the thought of Jesus coming back brought fear to my heart, but as a young boy, growing up in the 70”s it really did scare me to think that Jesus was actually going to come back……to earth. I mean what was Jesus gonna do? What would Jesus change about the world as I knew it? I was 8 years old in 1976 when I trusted Jesus and became a God follower. And I can honestly say that I became a God follower because I didn’t want Jesus to “come again” and not be ready…….and believe me for an 8year old kid “not being ready” meant many things

Ok, so I’m reading through the gospel of Matthew and to my chagrin Jesus is having a conversation with his disciples about wouldn’t you know it; his definite return?

Toward the end of Jesus earthly ministry Jesus reminded his disciples that he was going to die and rise again and that he would go and be with God his father for a while but he would eventually return. Now the disciples were normal folk so they asked what you and I would’ve asked if Jesus had made the same remark to us note Matt24:3“And as Jesus sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what [shall be] the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?”

Now obviously from reading the verse the disciples wanted to know a lot more than just, Jesus returning to earth again, because if you read the verse clearly the disciples ask three questions.

· when shall these things be

· what [shall be] the sign of thy coming

· When will the world end

So then we know that what is read from verse 3 on is going to answer all three questions. I want you to notice how Christ answers the question “what will be the sign of his coming.” Because for me I find Jesus answer to that question in particular most troubling. Matt24:36-39 “But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.37 But as the days of Noe [were], so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.”

You ever get the sense that though so much truth about God and his Son Jesus is available on; Facebook, the world wide web, ipod, youtube, podcasting, volumes and volumes of books, local missionaries, gospel tracks, radio, television, churches abroad, local churches and the Bible itself and anything else you can think of that I have missed. And people are eating, drinking and giving in marriage. That is what I find so troubling. We indeed are living in the last days because the days are similar or like Noah’s days. Although so much information about Jesus is available many are not responding to the gospel or The Proclamation, “Christ is Coming Again.” As Noah preached we too must not grow tired of proclaiming the good news. That same old ancient message that got my attention in 1976 before the days of internet and cell phones has not changed. Jesus is coming again to receive his own. Are you ready for Jesus the King of Kings Return J?

3 comments:

  1. Amen, I am! Come, Lord Jesus! We'll see you there, William!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come quickly Lord Jseus...Come quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was praying last week and for whatever reason my heart was just heavy and I felt very weary. I remember praying and asking Jesus to return because I know that when I am in eternitywith Him, I won't be tired, my heart won't be heavy no more. But I honestly said that there is only ONE thing that I DO NOT look forward to in His return.

    When those who have proclaimed, professed and theorized that God does not exist and have been doing so throughout their lives, they will stand before Him. They will see the Almighty God in all His splendor and majesty and awesome wonder. These people will simply be in awe of Him.

    Yet, this will only be for a moment because they will hear God speak and the only thing they will hear from Him is, "Depart from me, for I never knew you." That's something I just don't look forward to. I work with people and have friends who are Aetheists and I preach til I'm blue in the face because I know to what end shall befall them.

    But I keep my faith, I saty steadfast in prayer and never silence the Gospel of Jesus because hopefully, just hopefully, the dreadful moment in the day I look forward to may not happen because God is good and can do mighty things.

    Just keep preaching!!!!

    ReplyDelete