Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I AM SOOOOO …………………. TIRED!!!!!!!!

Over the past few weeks we have really been paying close attention to both the conversations and comments of Jesus. So to be honest I have read and reread the stories found in the gospels over and over again. And so I’m reading through Matthew’s Gospel, again, and I have zeroed in on a time that Jesus is praying. And after he finishes his prayer he makes this comment to the multitude.

The comment itself is pretty amazing. But the comment in light of the fact that Jesus just finished praying sheds a whole different light on a passage that I have quoted so many times. The pray is in Matt11:25, check it out, “At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. Not to get bogged down in this prayer, because the prayer is not the point of my thoughts. However, I feel that the prayer illuminates the comment that Jesus makes in the very next verse. Ok, so Jesus prays and I’m going to take some literary liberty here just to make it interesting. Jesus prays in my words mind you “Hey Dad, I know you have every thing in this world under your control. I want to give you a big shout out for that. Dad I want to especially thank you for hiding truth from those folks who think that they have all the right answers. And you know Dad, I want to especially thank you for only revealing truth to those who posses a child like faith, because I know that is what truly brings you pleasure.

Ok, now Jesus prays this prayer to his father then he makes this next statement to the multitudes, check this out Matt11:28 “Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.30For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light”

So then, in light of Jesus prayer, the one who submits to the yoke of Christ is the one who has a Child like heart. The infant, the babe at heart he/she surrenders over the controls of his/her life to God. A baby a child has a heart that’s trusting. If you give a baby a bottle it’s not going to test the bottle for arsenic. The child the infant takes the bottle because it trusts the one who gave it to drink. I get the sense from this passage that Jesus wants us to trust him the same way an infant trust it's mother.

God’s burdens are not heavy and his yoke is light because his love for us is the measure he uses whenever he gives us a load to carry. We know this scripture all too well don’t we “God will not tempt us above that we are able to endure.” So if his yoke or will for us becomes hard and his burdens become heavy, then Love is no longer the measure or the weight of my load of burden. I have added on to my load of love, Pride, selfishness, self centeredness and all these make a light and sometimes difficult load from our God seem so very heavy. If you have become tired and weary then listen to a great but simple truth you are bearing a load that God did not give you to carry.

4 comments:

  1. Hello William,
    I was curious, do you use your Blog material for your sermons, or is the Blog unrelated to what you preach? I'm just asking if you have different topics of interest that you convey through both; to your congregants and to your Blog community. Thank you again for being a light. Our prayers are with you, Ian and Gillian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ian
    I usually blog from my morning tim in the word. For me whenever I know that I want to blog a thought or idea. It makes my time in the word more focused. I am usually reading some book along with my tine in the Word. To be honest so much rolls around in my head the only way to sort my thoughts out is to write. I do appreciate your prayers I really need them. And certainly I will continue to pray for you and your ministry.

    William

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Will!

    I REALLY needed to read this blog post. It hits very close to home for me. I was reading in John chapter 6 earlier today and the passage said something like Jesus was talking to these people who were following him and they were like "Jesus what must we do to live a Godly life?" like what do we do to live a life that God finds pleasing? and Jesus replied that they needed to have faith. He said that they literally needed to believe that God is and that His word is true. I was blown away by that knowledge. I get so turned around sometimes thinking of all that I am "not doing" for Christ and all that I "wish I were doing" and all that still needs to be done when all that God requires of me is simple belief. He just wants to know that I have that child like faith that you are talking about in this passage. I think it really is true that faith the size of a mustard seed can move mountains. We think that mustard seed faith is so easily attainable but even that is something that I work to attain and add to. I am spending these days before my 28th birthday looking at God like I am really His child. I am choosing to embrace him as my father. I cannot keep letting external circumstances upset me and I refuse to let the enemy have any more victories in my life. ALL of that to say that yeah, God's yoke is easy and His burden is light so I am setting my priorities and perspective down and taking up His. Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea Amen. I too am trying to get rid of what God does not want me to carry. I think that's why are wrote this blog in particular. It's a daily struggle but God is faithful :)

    ReplyDelete