Tuesday, September 7, 2010

She Looks Just Like Me

I remember the day we first took our new baby home from the hospital. Everyone who saw her would always say how much she looked like her daddy. I think my wife was secretly jealous of that, “not really.” Aubrey, my daughter, that’s her name, went to her first college football game before she was two weeks old. I could remember the older parents giving me and Carolina dirty looks because we brought such a brand new baby outside into the elements, to a football game to say the least.

My wife Carolina and I were such young parents, we really didn’t know any better. Of course, like any child does she grew up and as kids grow from new born, into their young teens you hope and pray that they grow into becoming Godly if you’re Christian and if you’re not you just hope they grow to become responsible.

I often think about God as my heavenly father what are his desires for me? I had so many secret quiet dreams that I held close to my heart for my daughter. I can’t help but wonder in the very same sense “what are Gods plans for my life, really?” I was so excited when we brought her home from the hospital. How did my heavenly father react when I gave my life to him late one Friday night? How did he react when I said yes to his son Jesus Christ?

I know it’s hard to believe but just as a young parent I had so many dreams and plans for my children. My heavenly father too has plans for all of his children who have chosen to follow him. This of course, is a very difficult concept for so many of God’s people. We are so independent in our thinking we actually think that “We are the master of our fate captain of our soul.” I know that that sounds really good “Invictus” for those of you poets out there, it’s just not biblical.

God spoke through Jeremiah the prophet as he dealt with the nation of Israel while they were trying so hard to live independently of God and follow their own plans Jer29:11-12“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.12Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.” God is clearly telling his people that he knows the thoughts that he has for them so he tells them in so many words to quit fighting his plans and thoughts and just surrender.

Is that not awesome news? God knows what he is doing with me in my life. And he is going to work out his plan in me no matter what I do, and If, I would simply stop living so independent of him I could see more clearly the end results that he is wanting to accomplish in me.

The poem “Invictus” would be more correctly stated “God is the master of my fate and he is the Captain of my soul.” For those of you running your own life quick question for you how is it working for you sense you’ve been in charge? God knows what his plans are he knows what the end is supposed to look like. Just call upon him in prayer and then take it a step further and listen quietly for his instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment