Monday, September 13, 2010

What was He Thinking

I have for the past several weeks spent some time reading through the Synoptic Gospels. It seems like my attention has been really attentive to the many conversations of Jesus. I am aware that the Gospels themselves are a general view of the same story being told by four different men. But what I find really cool is the four different takes on the same stories.

I’m going somewhere with this just wanted to share my heart a bit before I try and write out what I’m feeling. Ok, let me se if I can get this off my chest without sounding too confused. Given the dialogue that Christ had with certain folks, I sometimes get the impression, that if Christ were to show up in main stream American Churches that he would not be accepted by its Pastor or Parishioners. I need to pause for minute and include my own church in that category.

Ok, let me just give you a few examples of Jesus teachings hopefully you can feel what I’m feeling. Luke 6:19-20 “And the whole multitude sought to touch Jesus: for there went virtue out of him, and healed [them] all.20And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed [be ye] poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.” Ok, okay I need to define some words here. The word “blessed” means happy. So then Jesus is saying “Happiness there is for you who are poor, because heaven is yours.” Now if what Jesus is saying is true, then why do we “Christians” spend so much time and energy pursuing prosperity and wealth?

Look at the next few verses they are as bizarre as the previous ones. Luke 6:21“Blessed [are ye] that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed [are ye] that weep now: for ye shall laugh.” What, that doesn’t sound like a Sunday morning message. Hang on to your blue jeans it gets worse; 22-23“Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you [from their company], and shall reproach [you], and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward [is] great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.” I don’t know but I think Jesus is preaching here. He is saying that we are to rejoice when people do us wrong even to the point of hating us. He is teaching us as Christians that we are in good company whenever this happens. The ancient prophets suffered at the hand of men for following God. So then it only seems right that we will suffer some discomfort also as we follow God.

If rejoicing is what our response should be when men hate us and rebuke us for doing right or wrong whatever the case. Why do we always seek to get even? Why do Christians fight and bicker so much. I know that we are human but how long will we use that excuse before we take some responsibility. I hope what Jesus teaches here is blowing your mind because I’m certainly being challenged even as I write. Let’s look at a few more verses. Luke6:24 “But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.25Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.26Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.”

Ok, Jesus has gone too far. He is teaching that for that person who is rich, they have their reward. The person who is full now, they will be hungry later. The one that is laughing now will mourn later. This is so rich in content I can hardly write without wanting to jump for joy right here by myself in my office. Jesus is simply using an extreme example to teach us a simple truth. This is called a hyperbole. Let me tell you what Jesus is Thinking. Jesus is thinking that nothing in this world nor in the world to come is more important that KNOWING HIM. No amount of wealth can bring me more joy than knowing Jesus. No food, no relationship, no job, not your dream car, not your dream home. Nothing, I mean nothing, is more important than KNOWING JESUS.

3 comments:

  1. Amen. I pray that more people would be led to this very same conclusion, and become acquainted with our Savior. Heaven would not be Heaven if our Lord was not there. Thank you for your insights on Christ's words. My family will pray for your ministry.
    PS, Mr. Roger Oakland of Understand the Times has requested prayers on behalf of a movement within the church; if you want to know more, email me and I will send you his prayer request. Canticlesofandurunatjuno.com. Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought provoking insight and something every Christian should seriously consider. The second part of the scripture is so often overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord help me to know you this post blessed my soul today

    ReplyDelete