Monday, June 7, 2010

Come unto Me

I was having my bible reading time with the Lord this morning and this may be a bit of a surprise to some of you, I didn’t have a bible, just a cup of coffee. Oh how I enjoy my coffee in the mornings. Well anyway, in between “sips” I began to muse over a particular passage of scripture where Jesus is quoted as saying, Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”

And as that Colombia Dark Roast slipped ever so slightly down the old pie hole I had a marvelous thought, which I think is worth repeating. Jesus does not call us to go to church. He does not call us to do ministry work. And he does not call us to do missions work. Now that’s a scary thought for some. The truth is God calls us to come unto “him.”

Now I need to pause parenthetically here and say that as a Pastor of a growing church I tend to get a bit irritated on Sunday mornings when I look out over the congregation and see so many people who just stay home, because they’re tired, maybe they just slept in, went to the lake or whatever the reason. So while the coffee aroma was yet in the nostril, God tapped me on the head and he said to me in my Spirit, with Clarity of course, William I want you to bring people to “me.” I then with that thought I said with a sighed “Lord, I understand.”

You see God wants more than anything for people to come to him and in the process of knowing him we will begin to love what he loves. Make no mistake about it. Christ loves his “church.” So if you have not been attending Church but you want to know God, you can find him at a good Local Church. Remember the Church is his bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment