Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hey I'm learning "Greek"

For the last few days I have been really noticing the goodness of Jesus Christ. Today while I was reading, I noticed a curious Greek word “Tetelestai.” The word “Tetelestai” is an accounting term, used by the folks who lived during the time of Christ. This word “Tetelestai” was a word often written at the bottom of an invoice used to show that a service rendered had been, paid in full.

Ok, now you are thinking what does this word “Tetelestai” have to do with Christ! Glad you asked, check this out. As Jesus was slipping into death he said something that those standing close to him only heard him uttered John19:30“it is finished.” Why would Jesus say, “it is finished”? I think it’s worth it to do some scriptural investigation to find out the answer to that question. Paul said that Christ death was payment for your sins and mine, he said it this way 2Corinthians5:21“For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.” So Jesus who committed no wrong action became the payment, the “Tetelestai” for the debt incurred due to my sin or wrong actions.

Think about it this way, whenever I go purchase an item from the store the clerk will usually hand me an invoice and most of the time, at the bottom of that invoice, I will see that the payment has been made in full by what shows up at the bottom of the receipt or invoice. This is exactly how we need to see Christ death on the cross. Whenever we commit a wrong action; lie, cheat, steal, you get the point, a debt is incurred. And the payment for that debt or wrong action is death. So then Jesus death on the cross was not just any death, his death was actually a “payment” to satisfy the debt that was incurred due to my wrong actions.

This word “Tetelestai” is important for me and you to understand because the meaning that this word carries with it. “Tetelestai” means that a payment was made that covered the full debt incurred because of our sin. So then, Christ death on the cross paid for my past, present and any future sins. This is good to know; because now I don’t have to focus on Not Sinning, “wow say it preacher” instead I should be focusing on walking obediently before God. This kind of perspective keeps us from frustrating the “Grace” extended to us by Christ work on the Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment