Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dear God give me “Wisdom”

I’ve been reading through some verses in the book of Proverbs everyday for the last month. What a blessing this has been to me. What I have notice as I’ve read is the wisdom that flows out of the mouth of so many different people are basically quotes from God's word, and I bet many of them don’t even realize it.

I’ve heard people say or I have even said stuff like “look at the glass half full not half empty.” How about this one “nothing will work unless you do?” Let me list a few others that I have heard just for kicks: ability is a poor man's wealth; you will reap what you sow ten fold; you better strike while the iron is hot; lead by example. These are just a few of the many examples of wise sayings that I have heard flow out of the mouth of different people at different times.

What I’ve noticed, while hearing folks say all of these wonderful words of wisdom and don’t take this personal, so many of these sayings that I have listed have proceeded out of the mouth of people who are just plain foolish. To have information doesn’t necessarily mean that a person is wise.

I like what Solomon says to his son as he teaches him about being wise. Note Proverbs 1:6-7“To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings. 7The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction.” You see according to Solomon, wisdom and understanding are only good when they are working together in the heart of a man who fears God. However, if you take in wisdom and fail to add knowledge to that ingredient, it would be similar to baking a cake without eggs. And if you’ve ever eaten a cake with out eggs you already know that it doesn’t taste very good.

But there’s also another word that makes wisdom and knowledge active. That word is fear, and what fear is to knowledge and wisdom is similar to what “heat” is to cake mix and eggs. Until you add heat that cake mix and eggs is not fit for human consumption. So many people, they are just like that uncooked cake mix and eggs. They are full of knowledge and wisdom but they do not practice what they know to be true. You have everything you need to be a good tasting yellow cake with chocolate icing. But you don’t have any heat. You don’t have any fear of God, and what the world needs today more than ever are believers who “FEAR” God. Yea, I said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment